Photo ou archives : F-M. Dumas
AKD (Abongdon King Dick)
175 Sport -1928
The King of the Lightweights
In 1926, AKD - Abingdon King Dick - succeeded Abingdon, which had been making motorcycles since 1903, using engines by MMC, Minerva and Fafnir as well as its own engines ranging from a 350 single to an 800cc twin.
AKD, which already built the Swiss Moser engine under license, rejoined the ranks of motorcycle manufacturers in 1928 by fitting this power unit in a frame of its own design. The firm ended motorcycle production in 1933 but still makes hand tools in Birmingham.
This lightweight four-stroke was unusual at a time when this displacement consisted mainly of cheaply-made utility bikes and was available in three versions, Standard, Deluxe (with leg guards) and Sport (with twin exhaust ports). It was a very modem little bike with its overhead-valve engine, and its makers promoted it in their literature as the "King of the Lightweights." The special frame gave a very low saddle height, with twin top tubes linking the bolted-up steering head to the rear wheel spindle. The Moser engine, made at St. Aubin (Switzerland), enjoyed a sound reputation in its day for its sports successes and was fitted by many makers, such as Radior of France. It was notable for its outside inertia flywheel and its distinctive valve gear-the single camshaft and pushrods were behind the cylinder.
Engine: 172 cc (60x6lmm) license-built Moser air-cooled single-cylinder four-stroke; total-loss lubrication; magneto ignition
Power Rating: 3 hp@ 5500 rpm
Fuel System: carburettor
Transmission: Albion 3-speed, chain final drive
Suspension: Brampton girder forks (front); rigid (rear)
Brakes: drum (front & rear)
Wheels: 2.75x19 inch (front & rear)
Maximum Speed: 65 mph
As British as its bulldog badge, the AKD was built by the manufacturer of the famous "King Dick" adjustable spanners.