Photo ou archives : F-M. Dumas
125 Leader - 1955
Putting Lyon on the map
The curiously-named New-Map company, founded by Paul Martin, based in Lyon, built its own frames, but used a wide variety of English, Swiss and French power units.
Importer and Constructor
After WWII, New-Map Â– which was also an importer of British Douglas flat-twins Â– resumed the policy of in-house frames and proprietary engines. The marque made its own tanks, tool-boxes and other pressed-steel components, including the girder fork elements of its lively rigid-frame models. Going up the range, there was the "16000" series, with New-Map's patent design rubber-damped pressed-steel swing arm rear suspension. The engines were either AMC four-strokes from Clermont-Ferrand or twoÂ· strokes by Ydral of Suresnes.
Band of Leaders
In 1954, a proper hydraulically-damped rear suspension appeared, still with a pressed-steeI fork. As on the "16000,Â” the front forks were German Tiger telescopics. The new series was called "Leader," and at the 1955 Paris Motorcycle Show, nine models were displayed, four of them with Ydral 125 or 175cc engines, four with 125 or 175cc AMC power units and a single model with a German 175cc Sachs two-stroke. In addition, there was the "Super-Leader," powered by an Opti twin designed by the famed German engineer KÃ¼chen. This four-stroke with a chain-driven single overhead-camshaft was also used in Swiss Motosacoche and German Tornax bikes. However, the Super-Leader sadly never passed the prototype stage.
Engine: 125cc (48x69mm) air-tooled AMC single-cylinder four-stroke
Power Rating: 5.8 hp @ 4500 rpm
Fuel System: carburetor
Transmission: 3-speed, gear primary drive, enclosed chain final drive
Suspension: telescopic forks (front); swing arm ( rear)
Brakes: drum (front & rear)
Wheels: 19 inch (front & rear)
Weight= 194 lb
Maximum Speed: 47 mph
The New-Map Leader came in a choice of three color schemes: New Map English Beige, Royal Air Force Blue, or black and chrome.