Photo ou archives : F-M. Dumas
600cc Flying Squirrel - 1960
Britain's last big two-stroke
In contrast to its output during WWI, Scott did not build a single motorcycle during WWII. Production of its unorthodox machines began again in 1946.
There was little difference between the postwar Scott and the 1939 models, except for the innovative oleopneumatic Dowty telescopic forks built by a company better known for its aircraft landing gear. Built in tiny numbers, and extremely expensive, this new Scott was only available with a 596cc engine. But the company was shaky financially, and at the first postwar British motorcycle show in 1948, Scott was not represented. Two years later, the company, based in Yorkshire, went into liquidation.
Change of Ownership
A Scott fanatic named Matt Holder, owner of the Aerco Jig & Tool Company, bought the marque for £10,000 in order to keep the Flying Squirrel alive. Production was initially restricted to assembling machines from components in stock. Then in 1954, a number of prototypes with plunger rear suspension were tested. Production only got under way in 1956. The frame had evolved, and now had twin front brakes and a Scott telescopic fork, which looked like a Dowty unit, but reverted to conventional springs. The 596cc engine was virtually unchanged, and even retained its deflector-top pistons. Oddly enough, a version with no rear suspension was 11 lb heavier than the spring-frame design! But the Flying Squirrel had not been given sufficient momentum to sustain it through the crisis which decimated the European bike industry during the 1970s.
Engine: 596cc (73x71 mm) water-cooled parallel-twin
Fuel System: carburetor
Transmission: 3-speed, chain final drive
Suspension: Scott telescopic forks (front); swing arm (rear)
Brakes: twin 7 inch drum (front); drum (rear)
Wheels: wire (front & rear)
Weight: 395 lb
Maximum Speed: 90 mph
The ultimate Flying Squirrel lost much of the originality that had distinguished the Scott marque over the years.